Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My random thought


          While doing research and interviewing the patrons I had this thought that occasionally popped up in my head. Seniors are educating themselves about computers and technology, but we should get to a saturation point when this issue of helping seniors learn computers will not needed. As the current population ages they are mostly using computers on a daily basis (not all, but most), then they won’t have to be taught on how to use the computer.
          Issues I will address later are problems like cognitive, physical, and vision. These issues are not likely to change. Even now I find myself quickly falling behind with new technology (mostly because I’m poor). When a patron comes up with their laptop running windows 8 I feel lost. So, while there might be a need to keep people familiar with new programs, software, and devices, I think basic computer education won’t be in demand in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I've often wondered about this, too. I mean, what happens when our generation gets older? What kind of computer literacy problems will we have? What kind of newfangled programs will kids today come up with to confuse us future old people?

    One major frustration I have with the world right now is that so many government agencies have digitized their forms and the protocol is not for these agencies to educate people about using them--the protocol seems to be to send them to the library and have someone there explain it to them or fill it out for them. On a food stamps application, for example, there is a box you can check that says that you're a library worker who is filling out a form for someone. I'm privy to people's Social Security numbers, addresses, and log-in information--if I were a less trustworthy person, I could really do some damage. Not to mention, patrons often want to call out this information to me for me to fill in, so all the people in the computer lab can find out this info, as well.

    I know I've begun to rant a little, but my point is this: when we get older, what practices will be in place to prevent us from doing the things we need to do?

    ReplyDelete